The Office of Senator Josh Newman has internships available for qualified candidates. Candidates should be currently enrolled college students or recent college graduates residing in California’s 29th Senate district. Candidates interested in gaining hands on experience within the state legislature, public service, and civic engagements are encouraged to apply. Senator Josh Newman’s issues of importance include veteran affairs, mental health, education, jobs, and transportation.
About the 29th Senate District:
Senate District 29 is comprised of portions of Los Angeles County, Orange County and San Bernardino County, including part or all of the following 16 cities: Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Chino Hills, City of Industry, Cypress, Diamond Bar, Fullerton, La Habra, La Palma, Placentia, Rowland Heights, Stanton, Walnut, West Covina and Yorba Linda.
- Answering phone calls, routing calls to appropriate staff member, sorting mail, filing, data entry, etc.
- Track and research legislation.
- Organize and execute community events.
- Attend events with district staff or the Senator.
- Assisting staff or the Senator on special district based projects.
- Assisting in constituent casework working with state agencies.
- Engage with local governmental and nonprofit organizations.
- Provide legislative updates to constituents.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task deadlines.
- Ability to work in a face pace environment.
- Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail, instructions, and complete tasks efficiently.
- Problem solving and conflict management skills.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
Our district office internship provides valuable work experience in an office setting, as well in the field serving the community where interns have the opportunity to make valuable contacts. Interns will also benefit from working with directly with the elected officials, community leaders, and local residents.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the internship application, attach a resume and cover letter highlighting your experiences and interest in interning at the Office of Senator Josh Newman, and writing sample. For more information regarding our internship program please contact Lisa Tran at (714) 671-9474 or Lisa.Tran@sen.ca.gov